Model, texture and animate a fish.
I first scoured the internet in search for a picture of a fish and decided to go for the image below.
I started off by going into my side view and, by using the Create Polygon tool along with the reference image above, started to make the fish’s body shape by creating points around the edge of the its body. Once I created the plane I had to then use the Multi cut tool to join the points together in order to be able to then start turning the plane into a 3D shape. Here are some rendered images:
The first thing I did was to remove half of my model so that I could texture half of it and then mirror it. I then UV unwrapped the mesh and used the UV editor to move the points around adjusting the texture and correctly placing it onto the model whilst trying to avoid stretching it.
After I finished texturing the body, I did the same to all the fins and then moved on to mirroring the fish. I did so by first making sure that all the edge points were lined up and snapped to a major grid line otherwise the fish wouldn’t mirror correctly. After that was fixed, I selected all the edge points again and then mirrored my geometry on the -X axis. Below are some images:
I firstly smoothened my fish and went into the orthographic side view. In the rigging menu I then went ahead and clicked on skeleton and then create joints. I added three: one in the head, one in the middle, one in the tail region. I then bound the skeleton and the body of the fish so that they became whole meaning that when I rotated a joint, the fish would rotate with it.
I then animated the fish by firstly keyframing its movement from point A to point B so that the fish is moving forwards. I then animated the joints and rotated them in a way that a fish would and keyframed all the changes.
I then found an underwater Maya scene which I imported from the Visor. I then ticked Use Ray Trace Shadows in the options which enables shadows when rendering the image/animation out.
We exported our Maya animation as a Targe Sequence which which then imported in After Effects and then added to the render queue and rendered it out.