I have made the following changes to my website:
Considering my website is a Language Learning website, it is essential for users to be able to display the languages they are able to speak so that other users looking to learn that language can know who to look for.
Therefore, when a user registers to my website I included an additional field where users can tick the appropriate boxes of the languages they can speak. This can also be viewed and edited in the Profile Page after registration.
I wanted users to be able to search for other users’ profiles depending on what languages they would like to learn. I found a plugin called User Tags that added a Taxonomies option that enabled me to create custom user taxonomy linking to the languages the users ticked in the above Language Options field.
The plugin “works” up to the point where the user clicks on the user’s picture or name and rather than directing them to that users’ profile page it directs them to some other page. Unfortunately, I could not figure out how to fix this problem since my knowledge on taxonomies is very minimal. In the end I failed at figuring out the underlying problem which I believe also required coding to fix which is also not my strong point.